Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2001 17:51:14 +0200
From:      Edwin de Jong <mauddib@gmx.net>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Subject:   Re: slight change to kldload(8)/kldunload(8)

On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 02:50:21PM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 08:05:27PM +0200, Edwin de Jong wrote:

> > > IMHO, additional cmdline arguments to kldload/kldunload(8) ought
> > > to be reserved for specifying options (hints, or whatever one would
> > > choose to call them).  That *could* be done with getopt-style options
> > > or something, but IMHO, hints specified on the command line would be
> > > more useful and more intuitive than additional modules to load..
> >
> > Well, the idea was that since most other tools like ps, ls, rm, cp and
> > others also take more than one input argument.  Since in this case there
> > are no hints to modules, this seems to be most clean option.
> >
> > Since shell glob substitution increases the number of arguments
> > depending on the number of matches, this also allows you to use the
> > shell more effectively.
>
> Yes, the ability to add more than one module might be useful,
> I'm not saying it might not.
>
> All I'm saying is, the ability to specify options while loading
> a module might be a bit more useful (think sound card IRQ's),
> and adding the options after the module name is the way that it is
> usually done in other OS's.
>
> And BTW, I do think that this discussion should be on a public
> mailing list, to see how other people feel on this - quite important
> IMHO - subject.

At this moment, the function kldload only takes one arg, which is the
filename of the module.  Indeed, I agree with you that it might be
best to add additional arguments to specify how and where the module
should be loaded, but this would require a change to the module system
also.

I'm willing to look at that, and see how this could best be tackled.
For now I think it might be best to keep the multiple arguments for a
while.

I don't want to say that modinstall (or whatever it is called in Linux)
is one of the best solutions, however, the automatic loading of module
dependencies could work out very well.

Another interesting thing is for example with the screensaver modules.
One generally only wants to load one module at a time (only the last one
is effective).  Actually the other modules should be unloaded
automagically.

Regards,

        Edwin

--
"I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence.
There's a knob called `brightness', but it doesn't work."