Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2000 17:02:08 +0000
From:      "Brian K . Walters" <bkwalters@lucent.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   w3m make craps out  was Re: Lynx forbidden

On Sun, Apr 02, 2000 at 01:15:37PM +0530, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> > > The lynx port is marked forbidden due to security problems.
> > >
> > > There is no misunderstanding.
> > >
> > > If you want to open yourself (and your users) up to buffer overflows in
> > > the code, you are more than welcome.
> > >
> > > AlanC
> >
> > In light of that is there a recommended replacement for lynx until the security
> > holes are worked out.  Unfortunately I need something to view html marked up
> > emails in mutt.  I am replaced linux with freebsd on my home machine and I
> > would like that same functionality.  What  other programs are out there like
> > lynx that I could use in my .mailcap file to view html marked emails in mutt?
>
> Try w3m -- /usr/ports/www/w3m
> It handles tables and frames much better than lynx. I've mainly
> switched to w3m now, using lynx only in some cases where w3m
> doesn't do the right thing with cookies.
>
> If you must use lynx, you can probably compile it easily enough
> without the help of the ports.
When I start a make of w3m I get the following errors.

ol-arem# make
===>  Building for w3m-0.1.7
`Makefile' is up to date.
make -f XXMakefile
cc -pipe  -I/usr/local/include -I. -c tagtable.c
tagtable.c:8: syntax error before character 0340
tagtable.c:11: syntax error before character 0320
tagtable.c:11: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cast
tagtable.c:17: syntax error before character 0370
tagtable.c:17: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cast
tagtable.c:22: syntax error before character 0220
tagtable.c:22: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cast
tagtable.c:24: `tfoot' undeclared here (not in a function)
tagtable.c:24: syntax error before `x'
tagtable.c:24: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cast
tagtable.c:30: `HTML_N_COLGcolgroup' undeclared here (not in a function)
tagtable.c:30: initializer element is not constant
tagtable.c:30: (near initialization for `MyHashItem[25].value')
tagtable.c:41: syntax error before `,'
tagtable.c:41: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cast
tagtable.c:45: syntax error before character 07
tagtable.c:45: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cast
tagtable.c:49: syntax error before character 0200
tagtable.c:49: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cast
tagtable.c:55: syntax error before character 07
tagtable.c:56: `HTML_E' undeclared here (not in a function)
tagtable.c:56: `tbody' undeclared here (not in a function)
tagtable.c:56: syntax error before `HTML_N'
tagtable.c:56: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cast
tagtable.c:57: syntax error before character 07
tagtable.c:57: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cast
tagtable.c:69: `Hthead' undeclared here (not in a function)
tagtable.c:69: initializer element is not constant
tagtable.c:69: (near initialization for `MyHashItem[64].value')
tagtable.c:91: syntax error before character 07
tagtable.c:94: syntax error before character 07
tagtable.c:94: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cast
tagtable.c:105: syntax error before character 0270
tagtable.c:106: syntax error before `w'
tagtable.c:112: syntax error before character 07
tagtable.c:112: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cas
tagtable.c:118: syntax error before character 0250
tagtable.c:118: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cas
*** Error code 1
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/w3m/work/w3m.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/w3m/work/w3m.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/w3m.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/w3m.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/w3m.

Any thoughts as to what the problem is or is the port broken.

TIA,

--
Brian K. Walters
bkwalters@lucent.com