Date:      Sat, 16 Jan 1999 22:01:54 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        igor@physics.uiuc.edu, rnordier@nordier.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a few suggestions/comments on 3.0-RELEASE

Bruce Evans wrote:

> >> Also, it might be nice if the disklabel(8) man pages explicitely
> >> say that the bootstrap code can be installed on each slice.
> >> (am I wrong ?)
> >
> >You're right, the bootblocks can be installed on each slice, and
> >this also needs documenting.
>
> This doesn't need documenting.  disklabel(8) knows nothing of slices.
> It installs labels and bootblocks on disk-like devices.  Slices are
> just one type of disk-like device.  All regular files larger than 1K
> and many devices are disk-like, thanks to device independence.

I think one does well to avoid "No! No! No!" reponses to useful
feedback.  The original suggestion highlights aspects of the new
bootblocks that are incompletely documented and potentially confusing.
My reply was intentionally phrased to acknowledge this while omitting
all reference to the disklabel man page.

This does need documenting.  disklabel(8) is merely an installation
tool for bootstrap stages 1 & 2, as is install(1) for bootstrap
stage 3.  Of course one does not document programs on the man pages
of their installation tools.  However this does not mean that one
does not document them (or their installation procedures) at all.

--
Robert Nordier