Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 19:38:47 +0100
From:      "Daniel S. Haischt" <sirabyss@gmx.net>
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   AW: Sendmail and Cyrus IMAP

hello,

no, cyrus does not provide any smtp functionality. you still have to use
sendmail or postfix.

> I understand that Cyrus will replace the popper, and will provide IMAP
> access instead of POP3, but I don't know how a mail from the outside
> world will find its way into the Cyrus message store.

cyrus provides a pop3 and imap daemon. postfix uses a mailbox_transport
configuration option to process mails after they arrive. there you
can configure to 'forward' mails to the cyrus system.

sendmail has some similar configuration options. they are also
documented on the cyrus web site (as i remember).

regads

daniel haischt