Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:46:50 +0100
From:      "Chris Rodgers" <freebsd-mobile@bulk.rodgers.org.uk>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   3Com Megahertz PCMCIA card won't come online

Hello!

I have recently bought a laptop and am trying to get onto the network...

If anyone here can help me / point me in the right direction I'd appreciate
it muchly. I have seen this discussed in the archives for this list, but
when I tried to e-mail the people involved directly, the e-mail bounced.
:-( So, here are the gory details (all typed in by hand, so I apologise for
any typos).

I have a 3Com Megahertz Model 3CXEM556B PCMCIA card (that's what it says on
the card).

When I insert the card / boot up, the following happens (all on the
console):

pccard: card inserted, slot 0
chris-mob pccardd[49]: Card "3Com"("Megahertz 3CXEM556 B") [LAN + 56k Modem]
[(null)] matched "3Com" ("/Megahertz 3C(CF|X)EM556/") [(null)] [(null)]
chris-mob pccardd[49]: Found existing driver (ep) for 3Com
chris-mob pccardd[49]: Using I/O addr 0x240, size 16
chris-mob pccardd[49]: Setting config reg at offs 0x800 to 0x47, Reset time
=
50ms
chris-mob pccardd[49]: Assigning I/O window 0, start 0x240, size 0x10 flags
0x7
chris-mob pccardd[49]: Assign ep0, io 0x240-0x24f, mem 0x0, 0 bytes, irq 11,
flags 1
ep0: eeprom failed to come ready.
ep0: eeprom failed to come ready.
ep0: eeprom failed to come ready.
ep0: eeprom failed to come ready.
ep0: Unit failed to come ready or product ID unknown! (id 0x0)
chris-mob pccardd[49]: driver allocation failed for 3Com(/Megagertz
3C(CF|X)EM556/): Device not configured

(P.S. Please excuse any typos in that lot!! :-D)

The pccardd process is: pccardd -f /etc/defaults/pccard.conf

My /etc/pccard.conf has this in it:
-------------------------
io 0x240-0x360
irq 3
memory 0xd4000 96k
debuglevel 4

card "3Com" "/Megahertz 3C(CF|X)EM556/"
config default "ep" ? 0x1
insert /etc/pccard_ether $device start
remove /etc/pccard_ether $device stop
-------------------------

(I cut this out of /etc/defaults/pccard.conf so that I could look at the
settings.)

My kernel config file has all the network card drivers from GENERIC (I
think).
It certainly includes a line:
device ep

dmesg doesn't seem to say anything more than this (it shows the card slots
being initialized, then output as above).

This is on 4.7-RELEASE

The card works fine under Windows 2000.

--

Yours,