Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 2003 22:53:42 -0800
From:      "Eugene M. Kim" <ab@astralblue.net>
To:        Orion Hodson <hodson@icir.org>
Cc:        Jim Durham <jimd@nepinc.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Maestro 3 flakiness

I've ran into similar troubles a couple of days ago with my Dell
Inspiron 8000 running -current.  I did a bit of research myself, and
after pulling out about N hairs (where log2(N) >= 7) I found one
workaround to this problem: As soon as you play something (I used
`echo -n AA > /dev/dsp'), the recording should be back in shape.

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 02:58:14PM -0800, Orion Hodson wrote:
> If you have the stomach for it, I'd recommend grabbing the specs and comparing
> the ALSA and FBSD versions of the driver.  There may be differences in the
> initialization code that give a clue to what the root of the problem is.

The thing is, the spec available online (from ALSA) doesn't seem to
explain programming interface of specific firmware images.  I couldn't
find any reference documentation for the GPL'ed firmware the FreeBSD
driver uses.

Regards,
Eugene