Date:      Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:04:15 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: umass0 -- yes, daX -- no?

In the last episode (Mar 15), Mikhail Teterin said:
> I'm trying to access the file system on a usb memory key. When I
> insert it, however, kernel duly reports creation of umass0, but not
> the da1 (da0 is my ZIP drive).
>
> According to usbdevs -d, I have:
>
> 	addr 1: OHCI root hub, SiS
> 	  uhub0
> 	 addr 2: Dell USB Memory Key, M-Systems
> 	   umass0

You might have a device that's not known in umass's table.  It looks
like it needs to know the protocol before it will create a da* device;
try editing /sys/dev/usb/usbdevs and adding a DISKONKEY3 entry (usbdevs
-dv should print the hex IDs you need), and copy one of the existing
DISKONKEY array entries in umass.c.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com