Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:44:50 -0400
From:      David David <ddavid@ican.net>
To:        Marty Poulin <mpoulin@honk.org>
Cc:        "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@gtabug.org
Subject:   Re: gtabug - Re: Problems connecting to ADSL / PPPoE

> Well, I made the following modifications:
>
> in /etc/rc.conf:
>
> ifconfig_ed0="inet 192.168.254.1  netmask 255.255.255.255 -arp up"

set the ed0 address to "0.0.0.0" if anything, if that is what is
connected to the nortel, pppoe will setup that interface IP when it
connects.

> and I changed my /etc/ppp/ppp.conf to match the example in the handbook.
> The route error no longer comes up, but I still don't get connected.
>
> Interesting - the connection status indicator on the ADSL modem goes from
> red (no connection) to yellow (negotiating connection) while the PPP
> script is attempting to connect.  But it never turns green (connected).

before you can connect all 3 status lights( 1st, 3rd, and 6th) should be
green in the first place, especially the 3rd light which shows you have
sync with Bell. If you are not green on that one, you can try all you
like to connect and it will not. There is no " connect" light when
signing on with pppoe, your only indication is on the computer itself. (
i'm sure someone else could put this in a better perspective)

If you cannot get a sync with Bell ( 3rd light) then check your
connections etc, turn the nortel off and then back on and wait for it
too sync ( green ) and if that fails, with the nortel on, unplug the
phone cable at the jack the nortel is connected too, wait a few, then
plug it back in. ( got that one from sympatico, it seems sometimes the
nortel blank out and thats the only way of resetting them) If you still
cannot get that 3rd light green then its on Bell's side where the
problem is.

Hope this helps

David