Date:      Sat, 4 Aug 2001 05:17:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donn Miller <hackr_d@yahoo.com>
To:        Gabriel Rocha <grocha@geeksimplex.org>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4_3 calls itself -RELEASE?

--- Gabriel Rocha <grocha@geeksimplex.org> wrote:

>  All things considered, could we have -BEET and not -RUTABAGA? Had a
>  computer named rutabaga once, not very nice to me...prolly because
> it
>  once belonged to an -ex, but thats a nother story...go -BEET go.

For a sensical name, I'd prefer something with the name "POST" in it,
like maybe -POST, -POSTREL, or -POSTRELEASE.  Of the aforementioned 3,
I think I like -POSTREL best.  Or, as someone mentioned previously, you
could assign names to branches that correspond to frequencies in the
visible light spectrum, ROYGB.  They decrease in frequency from left to
right, so CURRENT would become RED, STABLE would become ORANGE, the
branch that has the next lower number of commits than STABLE would
become YELLOW, and so forth.  Of course, release would be BLUE, because
it would have the fewest commits.  But I think I like -BLACK in lieu of
-RELEASE, because it is completely frozen, like a dead star that emits
no light.

Another possibility is to name branches according to radioactive
elements, such as PLUTONIUM for -STABLE, and -URANIUM for -CURRENT
(assuming that uranium is more radioactive than plutonium).

Yet another idea would be to name the branches after planets in our
solar system.  -CURRENT would be called -JUPITER, -STABLE would be
called -EARTH, and RELENG_4_4 would be -MARS, since Mars is smaller
than Earth, and RELENG_4_4 receives fewer commits than STABLE.