Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 21:14:25 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Harry M. Leitzell" <Harry_M_Leitzell@cmu.edu>
Cc:        Paul Hart <hart@iserver.com>, Andre Gironda <andre@sun4c.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stack protecting

In message <Pine.SOL.3.96L.991103195319.1577A-100000@unix7.andrew.cmu.edu> "Harry M. Leitzell" writes:
: 	Ounce of prevention is worth a ... You get the point.  I agree
: that some sort of buffer overflow prevention in FreeBSD would be loved by
: all even if they do not choose to use it.  Anyhow, it would be nice to see
: a Stack + Heap Guard that does not break certain aspects of an OS that
: people use (gdb modified so that it correctly reads the format of an
: activation record on the stack that was changed would be nice).  I am
: trying to remember the reason that OpenBSD decided against such designs.
: Anyone?

Because the OpenBSD folk want to fix all bugs, and buffer overflows
are bugs.  There are several competing ways of fixing this, none of
which are entirely satisfactory.  Mostly people complain about the
overhead of these systems, but on a fast machine you'll likely not
notice.

They also generally only protect against smash the stack overflows,
although some do offer some limited protect against global variable or
heap overflows.

Warner