Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 2014 16:34:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
Cc:        "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nfsd spam in /var/log/messages

John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> Rick Macklem wrote this message on Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 18:47 -0400:
> > Russell L. Carter wrote:

> > > Then it would seem that that it is not possible to do per-host
> > > filesystem access control from a single server.  Is that true?
> > >
> > Yes, you can. Each line must be unique w.r.t. the tuple of
> > <host, server-filesystem>.
> >
> > When there are multiple directories within a file system that
> > needs to be mounted by a given host (or subnet), those must be
> > specified in a single entry.
>
> You know.. mountd really should grow the smarts to handle this, and
> warn if the various settings for the fs don't match between lines...
>
> i.e. union the lines as long as they match...
>
> Could be a good project for someone(tm)...

Yep. Of course, once they take a look at the really old, very ugly
mountd.c, they may change their minds. I, for one, am not volunteering;-)

Btw, there was a somewhat non-backwards compatible utility called nfse,
but the author has withdrawn his support, so I am not sure what state
the sources are in.

rick