Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2008 18:26:34 +0100
From:      Ulf Lilleengen <lulf@stud.ntnu.no>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@rabson.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFSBoot try and bsdlabel bootstrap code

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 04:07:50PM +0000, Doug Rabson wrote:

> On 19 Nov 2008, at 22:12, Olivier SMEDTS wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to boot off a ZFS pool (version 13) on an USB stick for testing
> > purposes. But I'm stuck with the bsdlabel bootstrap code size...
> > I'm using a 2 hours old CURRENT.
> >
> > # kldload usb2_storage_mass
> > # kldload zfs
> > # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 bs=512 count=32
> > # fdisk -BI da0
> > # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0s1 bs=512 count=32
> > # bsdlabel -wB -b /boot/zfsboot da0s1
> > bsdlabel: boot code /boot/zfsboot is wrong size
> >
> > Is what I'm trying to do with bsdlabel wrong ?
> > I previously tried with the default bootstrap code but I had an
> > (expected) "boot: Not ufs" error at boot.
> >
> > PS : I'm not subscribed to this list.
>
> The process for install zfsboot is a bit manual (and undocumented).
I see bsdlabel is restricted by BBSIZE. Could we perhaps increase it? or is
this something that will break everything? I suspect it might be hard to
maintain bsdlabel backwards compability with such a change. As an
alternative, adding a flag for extended block size might be an option.

--
Ulf Lilleengen