Date:      Mon, 02 Sep 2002 09:47:43 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        TOMITA Yoshinori <yoshint@flab.fujitsu.co.jp>
Cc:        Martin Kraemer <Martin.Kraemer@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>, FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, tcsh@mx.gw.com
Subject:   Re: Strange bug: tcsh stops reading .tcshrc after 4kB

In message <ywlwuq5gm47.fsf@cerberus.proc.flab.fujitsu.co.jp>, TOMITA Yoshinori
 writes:
>I also experienced the very similar problem after cvsup around 2002-08-22,
>on both 4.6-STABLE and 5-CURRENT.
>
>From my quick investigation, I found that the trigger was "unset"
>command in ~/.cshrc. And I guess that NLS catalogues are something to
>do with this problem.

This sounds like a regression of, or at least related to, a bug I
tracked down some time ago (listed in 'Fixes' as #58). I think this
crops up on FreeBSD because we are unusual in keeping a file
descriptor open between catopen() and catclose(). Other NLS
implementations apparently mmap the file and close the descriptor,
so they do not suffer from this.

Ian