Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 06:33:16 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Carlos C. Tapang" <ctapang@easystreet.com>
Cc:        "John Birrell" <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What would it take to build the FreeBSD kernel into Portable Executable (PE) format?

> Thanks for the serious response. I have seen WINE, but could you give
> me pointers to the other attempts you mentioned?

AltaVista is your friend.  Search for WINE, WABI, Freedows and visit
www.willows.com.  You'll get far more information that way than
I could ever provide you.

> Being a little quixotic sometimes does't hurt. Microsoft is a paper tiger.
> Do you think they can move the goal posts so drastically that you can't
> catch up? They can not risk even a few of the gazillion Windows applications
> from failing to run on their next version. In fact, Windows 98 still runs
> real-mode apps. And that's the reason it's so ugly.

Yes, I do think they can move the goal posts that drastically.  And
emulating real-mode apps is not the problem - we do most of that
already.  It's emulating all of the latest Windows apps that
constitutes the real challenge here and saying that the problem of
running Win32 apps is no more complex than that of running older
real-mode apps sort of indicates a fundamental misunderstanding of the
problem.

> Your fear of Microsoft is verging on the irrational. Before Microsoft sues
> a puny outfit, they better consider how their other enemies (including
> the Justice Department and other unholy alliances such as Ralph

Microsoft sues puny outfits all the time.  Go do a little research on
them, beyond what you read in the headlines, and you'll find that
Microsoft still essentially doesn't give a tinker's damn for public
opinion given that they only seem to get "caught" at 1/10th of what
they actually do on any given week.

> Heroes are, by definition, few and far between. Yes, they are an
> anomaly. Fear not: the Internet and the bazaar mode of software
> development are powerful weapons at your disposal.

Oh dear, I almost expect him to start waving a sword and pointing
dramatically towards Palestine next. :-)

- Jordan