Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:12:57 +0800
From:      Robert Storey <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD up to this job?

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:33:30 -0600 (MDT)
"Jeremy Pavleck" <judge@thend.org> wrote:

> Hi gang,
>  I was looking at purchasing a jukebox recently for a poolhall. When
> all is said and done, I found a refurbished 100 cd jukebox which I
> thought was really nice, until I heard the price - $4500. This is on
> par with a lot of older refurbished models, and the price can double
> for newer ones! So, the gears in my head started turning, and I
> mentally devised a plan to build my own jukebox that does more then
> your "standard" juke for a lot less money. Though I am unfortunately
> more of a Windows guy, I am thinking of turning to FBSD for this job.
>
> My plan is to build a custom "jukebox looking" enclosure like everyone
>
> is used to seeing in bars, poolhalls, etc. In place of the CD changer
> I'd like to have a full PC (Thinking XP2800, 1GB RAM, 500Gb SATA RAID)
>
> built inside, connected to a CD changer that I can control. This way I
>
> can offer more then just CDs, but mp3s and videos as well. I'd like to
>
> pick up a nice vid card (Say an ATI Radeon 9xxx Pro series with
> S-Video out) and setup the S-Video side to stream videos/xmms mp3/cd
> visualizations to 6 TVs spread throughout the place.
> In place of the normal song selection screen you normally see, I'd
> like to place a 17 or 19" LCD that only display 4-8 CD covers & song
> lists at a time.

It's a clever idea. I'm certainly no expert, but I should think it would
be a whole lot cheaper if you could dispense with the physical CD
changer and just implement the music with mp3. I'm less sure about video
- there might be legal issues with taking copy-protected DVDs and
turning them into mpegs. Anyway, the more you do with software and the
less with hardware, the less this thing will cost.

regards,
Robert