Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 14:56:32 -0700
From:      Jason Liao <jasonl@xinetron.com>
To:        "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: Failed to install on WD WDC33100H HDD

Thank you for your reply.

John T. Farmer wrote:

[ Jason Liao's original post snipped ]

> I don't recall seeing the thread on WD drives, but I use the WD cavier
>
> drives (EIDE) models for all my clients' Win/Dos, etc. workstations
> AND for low end mail servers & routers.  Matter of fact, I have one
> with the 2.1gb drive running on the build/burn-in bench now...

I used WD cavier 540MB before.  It worked fine under FreeBSD.  The
problem is with WDC33100H.  I had no chance to test other big WD IDE
HDDs.

> What type of motherboard/controller are you using with the drive?
> It sounds like a BIOS/LBA type conflict, though the drive should
> be detectable.  When you boot the board, what does the BIOS tell
> you?  Is it auto-detecting the drive?  Setting up any weird mappings?
> Are you setting the disk up to be used by both WinDos and FreeBSD?

The motherboards/controllers are ordinary Intel VX (Pentium, Award Bios)
and 440FX(Pentium Pro, AMI Bios) MBs.  They worked fine with Fujitsu
1.2G, 2.5G and 5 GB IDE HDDs.  The BIOS was set to LBA off, no
translation, no weird mapping.  The WD hard disk was new and there was
nothing on it when I tried to install FreeBSD.  I returned the WD hard
disk to the retailer and got a Fujitsu.

Looks like it's something related to DMA ( a messages said something
about `drq').  Does the HDD expects DMA transfer while FreeBSD wants
PIO?  I don't know.

Thank you for your response again.

--
Jason Liao