Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2003 01:30:46 +0100
From:      Alex <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        "Joseph R. Tanner" <jtbsd@comcast.net>(by way of Joseph R. Tanner <jtbsd@comcast.net>)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to upgrade...

Dear/Beste Joseph,

Wednesday, February 5, 2003, 12:05:01 AM, you wrote:

> Hello, I am just beginning with the FreeBSD operating system, I have the KDE
> GUI installed and I noticed that my version is 3.0 and there is a 3.1 out, I
> noticed on their site that I can download the 3.1 source, but will that then
> upgrade to 3.1 or install over my 3.0?

First, it is best to use on of the two FreeBSD install/update systems.
(You are looking for the ports /usr/ports) You also need to read the
CVS paragraph of the handbook, available at the website.

Secondly, it mostly safe to install (update) over your old version,
since the configurations are normally kept as the are. There are
exceptions to this. So if you are unsure, back up you stuff before
trying.

Thirtly, the tool portupgrade (named after the port sysutil/upgrade)
is a real *must*. It is an effort to minimize problems with the port
system.

--
Best regards/Met vriendelijke groet,
Alex