Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:19:02 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
Cc:        river <river@theriver.nu>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxp0: device timeout

>oops... I've never bothered to check this. Here's the report from
>ifconfig:
>
>$ ifconfig fxp0
>fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>        inet 193.10.208.65 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 193.10.208.255
>        ether 00:a0:c9:ac:e7:75
>        media: autoselect (100baseTX) status: active
>        supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX
>10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP
>

>I guess I can set the switch to full-duplex, no auto-sensing, and
>ifconfig the NIC with 'media full-duplex', right?

   Actually what you want is:

ifconfig fxp0 media 100basetx mediaopt full-duplex

   Also be sure that the switch is configured the same and keep in mind that
whenever you specify something other than auto for either the speed or the
duplex that autonegotiation is completely disabled, so both sides must be
set the same for it to work.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.