Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2017 00:49:30 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        citrin+bsd@citrin.ru
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: fe80::1%lo0

----Security_Multipart(Thu_Jan_12_00_49_30_2017_204)--

Anton Yuzhaninov <citrin+bsd@citrin.ru> wrote
  in <94a99b96-808b-8f50-a4a3-eec8659737cd@citrin.ru>:

ci> Hello,
ci>
ci> Why FreeBSD adds fe80::1%lo0 to the loopback interface?
ci>
ci> I know, that in IPv6 each interface should have a link-local address,
ci> but ::1 can be considered as link-local:
ci> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4291#section-2.5.3

 FreeBSD's IPv6 stack was written before RFC 4291 clarifies whether
 ::1 is a link-local address or not---currently the implementation
 does not recognize ::1 as an address with link-local scope.

ci> I think fe80::1 is unnecessary can be removed. For all practical
ci> purposes ::1 should be enough.

 No.  It may work with no link-local address but an unexpected
 behavior can happen in the kernel even if it is not harmful actually.
 If we really want to remove it, address scope of ::1 needs to be
 changed throughout the kernel in a consistent manner first.

-- Hiroki