Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 13:35:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David M. Brodbeck" <dmbrodbe@mtu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   natd dies with signal 11

I'm having a problem with natd, and a search of the mailing list archives
has turned up kind of empty.  First, the details:  I'm running
1998-09-23-BETA, but I've had the problem since I started my installation
with 1998-08-04-SNAP.  All upgrades have been both binaries and kernel
source, with the kernel recompiled after each time.  I'm using NAT to
gateway between a campus LAN and my local machines.

Natd produces a *lot* of messages saying:

natd: Failed to write packet back (host is down)

By a lot, I mean hundreds a day.  This is, at worst, a minor annoyance.  A
more serious problem is that a couple times a day natd exits with a signal
11 and dumps core, killing both gatewaying and the machine's own network
connectivity until natd is loaded again.  It usually seems to do this when
there's no traffic being passed; I've never had it go while I had
connections active, though this might be coincidence.  Any ideas?