Date:      Thu, 05 Feb 1998 09:10:13 -0800
From:      Don Wilde <don@PartsNow.com>
To:        laszlo vagner <kf7nn@mutsgo.dyn.ml.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: samba & nfs

Julian Elischer wrote:

> you can run th em at teh same time.. they are orthogonal
>
> our product runs with samba an 2.2.5 and works..
>
> make sure you keep up to date with samba.. it moves at light speed.
>
> julian
>
> On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, laszlo vagner wrote:
>
> > I cant figure out why this is happening.
> >
> > normally i ran 2.2.5-release and had "nmbd" and "smbd" running in order

The Makefile used for this SAMBA wants smb.conf in /usr/local/etc,
despite what the documentation says. Watch the log files smb, nmb and
whatever you named the sambalog file to.

> > to share the drive but recently i cvsupped to 2.2.5-stable and now they
> > wont run they just exit and a ps -aux shows them not running although
> > i did notice NFS is running, it says something like NFS (Server).

I have discovered -- though it needs more investigation -- that the
Novell Intranetware 'IPX Gateway' does NOT like to have Samba and/or NFS
running. Not sure yet which is causing the problem, but our
experimentation with both caused a lot of my PC's to be erratic in
connecting to the gateway server.
--
  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *