Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 13:43:25 +0100
From:      Stephan van Beerschoten <stephanb@luna.nl>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ssh-feature 'backdoor'

I have discovered the obvious ..

I was helping a friend of me who admin's a couple of
machines to find left-overs from hacks.. (The machine is
used for these kind of playfull thingies) and we discovered
something which other admins might not see because they
don't think of it as a valid entry-point.

sshd accepts connections with the rsa-key system (I love the
system, I hop from one system to the next using this system
and the ssh-agent running), but a hacker has created an
~root/.ssh/authorized_keys file with his own key in it.

The comment on the key was root@<machinename removed> so
for the 'default' admin the key would not look like something
which should not be there .. but it was the hacker's way to
simply ssh to the bos, enter his rsa passphrase (or let the
ssh-agent take care of it) and he was in, having all the time
to erase his presence from logs etc.

Just a hint.. watch the ~root/.ssh dir.

-Steve

--
Stephan van Beerschoten             Email: stephanb@luna.nl
Network Engineer                    Luna Internet Services