Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 1999 00:08:45 -0400
From:      Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
To:        Nick Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        bsd-doc <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   WP8-SGML Update-Comment

current time is 23:15 EDT [N.A.]

I think I like it - WP8. Here are the highlights.

1) Your document, Handbook DTD Migration, loaded with no errors.
   Saved to disk with the following validation error messages, and
   variations of it.
     Marked Section "<![" treated as data rather than markup
     Marked Section "]]>" treated as data rather than markup

       Is this construct defined in the FreeBSD extensions? I'll
       look but I am not sure I will get the right answer.
              <![ CDATA [<para></para>]]>

2) When saving my test document WP8 allows all WP supported formats
   to be used. The .sgml format, when selected, causes validation to
   start. This is not a problem because, 'save with errors', is an
   option. Now the good news - saving to a .html from .sgml source
   produces the correct HTML. So far.

3) Elements are tested for validity as they are entered and any
   legal attributes are always displayed if desired. A nice
   interpreter, lots of error checking. If a user does not know
   anything about what elements belong where the element list helps
   by only offering legal elements. That makes sense to me.

That's it for now. The next step is to generate a complete document
and post it as a personal page. Easier than sending fragments by
e-mail. Now that I think about it I have some public ftp space - I
will put all files there too.

- dutch

.sig file cut because I am tired of looking at it.
 Voice: 410.922.5805