Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 2004 08:46:45 +0200
From:      "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@sitetronics.com>
To:        adam@adamretter.eclipse.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-jobs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Administrator LFW

--pf9I7BMVVzbSWLtt

adam@adamretter.eclipse.co.uk <adam@adamretter.eclipse.co.uk> scribbled:
> Just a thought -
>=20
> As a user of computers, I try to gain as much knowledge as possible of all
> aspects of computing.
> For some time now I have been studying the FreeBSD operating system and
> using it as much as possible, technically I find it to be a good system.
>=20
> I have experimented with various versions of Windows / Mac OS and Linux/U=
nix
> amongst others over the years on several hardware platforms. After several
> years of `playing` with FreeBSD, I have made an observation about FreeBSD
> admin's or users or developers or whatever else you may want to call
> yourselves, and that is this (Firstly, I realise this is a generalisation.
> Secondly, yes I am generalising but that is what I must do to describe a
> community easily. Thirdly, there are always exceptions to every rule of
> course) -

And as most generalizations turn out to bee, this is a rather poor one.

> Out of all the virtual community's I have interacted with over the years,
> FreeBSD admin's are the worst - You are unhelpful, Pedantic, Obsessive and
> Obstructive, generally reminding me of a bunch of bitching secondary scho=
ol
> girls who believe they are the `in-group`. Whatever happened to helping e=
ach
> other and community spirit. You all seem so obsessed with FreeBSD and your
> self prowess of such that if someone is unwilling to follow `your` standa=
rds
> or ideals then you push them aside. Now I have read a lot of articles say=
ing
> the Mac community has the worst Zealots, but I would suggest that its
> actually FreeBSD. What are you guys so scared off, cant we have open
> cooperative development without all this touchy feel-i-ness (unless its
> constructive of course). (Please don't reply to tell me FreeBSD is an Open
> project and cooperatively developed - I am aware of this), to what I refer
> is all the politics and snide doings that are also in place. An Example -=
> have been kicked out of a FreeBSD chat room strangely named #freebsdhelp
> which one would imagine you would visit for help - although I required he=
lp
> and asked sensible questions (I am not new to this!), I was kicked out for
> using short hand. I never realised Internet Chat was so formal and I would
> cite this as an example of small mindedness among FreeBSD admin's.

You're quite off-base here. These sorts of things can best be sent
off-list, especially when you're referring to those few who did make a
big deal out of the post.

IRC is a community of (mostly) childish idiots. It is stated on the
FreeBSD webpage that there are _NO_ official IRC support channels for
this very reason.

Consider the volume of email on freebsd-chat and freebsd-questions --
and try to apply this statement again.

I don't know what kind of admin you are, but posting this garbage on a
FreeBSD mailing list makes you a troll (sorry to feed you) and a one of
the worst admins of X operating system. Try to see the forest for the
trees -- especially when you're one of them.

> This is not meant as a bitch at a community of what are very technically =
apt
> individuals, more a call to awareness.
> Has anyone else noticed this? Hope I haven't dropped a bomb!

I have not noticed it. FWIW, a more intelligent and helpful community is
on Freenode if you must use IRC.

> Cheers Adam Retter.
>
> (If there are spelling and grammar mistakes I apologise, but I do not
> consider this a formal address)
>=20

Can we please move this thread to FreeBSD-Chat? I notice that it's not
there yet because I'm only subscribed to jobs@. The FreeBSD postmaster
kindly requested that this thread be moved, and I second that.

I too, apologize for the off-topic email; I have cc'ed this to chat. If
others wish to continue it, please delete FreeBSD-Jobs@FreeBSD.org when
replying.

--=20
Kind regards,