Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:38:41 -0800
From:      Johnson David <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Byung-Jae Kwak <bjkwak@nist.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: arrgh squared [long]

On Tuesday 12 February 2002 09:26 am, Byung-Jae Kwak wrote:

> You said there are extensive FreeBSD documentations.
> I have FreeBSD Handbook, and it will keep me busy for
> a while.  But other than that, I didn't find much useful
> documentation on FreeBSD.  Did you mean the "man page"s
> for Unix commands?  Will Linux How-to documentation be
> helpful to learn FreeBSD?  It will be appreciated if you.

> could give me some direction where I can go from here.
> Thank you very much!

The FreeBSD Handbook is your starting point. There's a lot of good stuff in
it. Then examine your /usr/share/doc directory. You'll find a FreeBSD FAQ,
which has a lot of good information, and some other more specialized
articles. One of note is "new-users", which in my English installation is
installed under /usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/new-users.

Then I would suggest "FreeBSD: An Open Source Operating System for Your PC"
by Annelise Anderson. The "Complete FreeBSD" is very good, but much more
advanced.

Online I would check out <http://www.onlamp.com/bsd/>;
and<http://www.freebsddiary.org/>; both which contain many FreeBSD related
articles.

Do not ignore the man pages. Although they are not written in a tutorial
style, they are very useful to teach you detailed information for a command.
There are also some "general purpose" man pages that go into some topics in
great detail. Examples of these are "hier", "security", "firewall" and
"ports". FreeBSD has a much better collection of man pages than Linux.

Finally, there is a package/port called "Howto" that contains a few of the
Linux HOWTOs modified for FreeBSD. The other Linux HOWTOs (at
www.linuxdoc.org) are still useful. The exact details they present may not be
appropriate for FreeBSD, but their general overall knowledge is good.

David