Date:      12 Sep 2002 12:50:29 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
To:        Ken Easson <ken@justken.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which DNS server?

Ken Easson <ken@justken.net> writes:

> djbdns - seems to like making my hd light up every second or so -
> seems really hard on my system. as soon as i start tinydns the hd
> spins up for about half a sec every 2 seconds, why does it need to
> do this? can't it cache it's dns records in memory?

I've been off BIND and on djbdns for a couple years: I really like its
stability, speed, security, decoupling of cache and zone server, and
small footprint.  What you're seeing is not disk accesses for name
resolution but a symptom of a failed install or invocation; I've
messed up and seen the same thing.

It may be that there's already a djbdns (or BIND) running -- using
port 53 -- and you're trying to invoke djbdns but it can't get the
port, so it sleeps for a couple seconds and starts again.  I'm
assuming you're using the daemontools stuff as recommended by DJB and
www.lifewithdjbdns.org.

Could be other similar startup problems.  Check the logs.  Once you
figure that out, it will run like a dream.