Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 16:47:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Two routes to world?

I'm out of my experience range here.  One of our clients is switching from a
dial-up account (ppp) to ADSL.  Currently all the mail comes in through the ppp
link.  What we want to do is route traffic coming in from ppp to go back out
ppp, and anything else to go via the ADSL.  Can this be done?

Diagram (with fake IPs)

10.0.0.2 (old)      10.0.0.1
192.0.0.3 (new)
FreeBSD      --->   ISP #1  (All email coming from this route now)
dynamic IP

  | This is the new link we want to make

ADSL router  --->   ISP #2
192.0.0.2           192.0.0.1

The default gateway is pointing to the ppp link.  (default = 10.0.0.1)

If I ping through the new IP 192.0.0.2, it tries to respond through the
10.0.0.1 route.

We don't want to lose any of the email coming through the ppp link while the DNS
changes are propogating down.

Would this be as simple as:

route add default 192.0.0.1 -net 192.0.0

FYI, I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.8.

Thanks,

Patrick

---
Patrick S. Gardella                    Director of Web Development
The Creative Group    1-800-804-0783 ext 29     606-858-8029 (fax)
http://www.cre8tivegroup.com                 PGP Key ID 0xEE2D47A9