Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:30:14 -0500
From:      "Potts, Ross" <rpotts@harris.com>
To:        'Bruce Bauman' <bbauman@wgate.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: NFS swap questions

Here's my thought.  Haven't acted on it mind you, but, here goes.  Get a hard
drive for each machine expressly for swap(just large enough for the 1.5 - 2
times memory rule.  I think  multiple swap files being accessed at the same time
would really thrash the partition if it was one disk.  What if you used VINUM in
such a way as to allow striping across multiple disks comprising one partition
at the same time.  I believe you can set vinum to either append each volume as
needed or just use each one at the same time.  If only you can allocate which
volume to use for each machine in the single partition.

Here's where a board like ABIT BE6-II would come in handy, as you can populate
it with eight ide drives(4 dma66, 4 dma33).  Of course if $ is no object, then
go SCSI.

Please if I'm way off, let me know.

        PC 1    PC 2      PC 3    PC 4
            \          |           |         /
             \         |           |        /
              \        |           |       /
   VINUM STRIPED SWAP PARTITION (defined on and controlled by server)
|disk one  | disk two | disk 3    |disk4       |
|swap 1/4 |swap 2/4 |swap 3/4 |swap 4/4 |

                        SERVER

If you want to go real fast, install solid state hardware for the swaps