Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 1997 20:16:55 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, obrien@NUXI.com
Subject:   Re: conditionally including <sys/param.h>

In message <199702060300.OAA01390@godzilla.zeta.org.au> Bruce Evans writes:
: Maybe include <sys/param.h> unconditionally?  I'm not sure why I mentioned
: the __FreeBSD__ ifdef above.  I've never liked ifdefing on the OS -
: it isn't necessary for one OS and gives too-large ifdefs for more than
: 2 OS's.  You'll still need large ifdefs if configuration depends on the
: value of `BSD' and the value is OS-dependent.

True.  However, the current handbook recommends including this if unix
is defined and USG isn't defined.  This seems the best compromize for
the moment.  Generally, USG is defined on the old, musty SYS III and
SYS V machines, so this works well.

Warner