Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 10:58:37 +0200
From:      Frank Nobis <fn@radio-do.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weired top display at smp current kernel from today

On Thu, Sep 24, 1998 at 09:55:03AM +0200, Werner Griessl wrote:

> >> Correction, the dual 400Mhz PII also have the problem and booting with an
> >> aout /sbin/init solves it.
> >>
> >> Can there be something in the elf image loader missing or not initialized
> >> that effects things if the first process is elf?
> >
> > Strange, I remeber Peter having this problem, but I've never seen it here
> > on any of my SMP machines and still dont, wierd....

I thought it was gone here, but...

During a run of two cpu pigs and a top display with two times of 50%
cpu usage and idle time again at 50% I suddenly have seen an init
with 100% cpu and idle time now at 0%. This seems to be a good hint,
when an aout init fixes that problem.

Even after running in normal state, make -j4 world and idle tending to
0%, I have seen a fallback to the strange behaviour, but no boot in the
meantime.

There must be events that lets the system switch between those states.

Regards
	Frank

--
 Frank Nobis                            Email: PGP AVAILABLE
 Landgrafenstr. 130                     dg3dcn   http://www.radio-do.de/~fn/