Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 2002 22:17:00 -0400
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: VPN - some questions

On Tuesday 03 September 2002 09:36 am, Darryl Hoar wrote:
> My home client could be Windows 2000 or Linux.  I would
> want to connect to my work LAN through the internet.
> My Firewall is FreeBSD 4.5.  I need:
> 1.  a tutorial for setting up VPN on my FreeBSD fireall.
> 2.  Recommendation for VPN client to run on my home
>     machine (windows 2000 or Linux. My machine is dual boot).
> 3.  a tutorial for setting up VPN client on my home machine.
>
> thanks,
> Darryl

If you are going to use Linux as a client, then you can use IPSEC.
I have no idea how to set up the Linux end of it, as I'm not very
Linux oriented, but the tutorial for setting up the FreeBSD end of
it is www.daemonnews.org/200101/ipsec-howto.html . If you enter
"freebsd ipsec" in to the google engine, you will get lots of help.
You will also want to install "raccoon" from the ports collection to
generate encryption keys for IPSEC. When you have the FreeBSD
and the Linux machines set up to use IPSEC, all packets between
them are encrypted.

If you are going to use a Windows client, then install mpd from
the ports collection. There are 3 files to set up. The file "mpd.conf"
has a sample PPTP section. You just change the IPs there to
those of your outside IP and your LAN ips. You will need one of these
entries for each additional concurrent user of the VPN. I call them
"pptp1", "pptp2" and so forth.

The 2nd file you will have to modify is "mpd.links", which has a
corresponding section for each section in "mpd.conf". These entries
have the same names as the corresponding entries in "mpd.conf"

Finally, you will need to set up "mpd.secret" with your user names
and passwords.

 If you are running
a default-to-deny firewall, you may have problems getting the
GRE packets through. It's easier to run default-to-accept and
block all the ports you don't want to be accessable from the
outside.

When you have mpd running, just make a new VPN connection
in Windows, giving it the host name of the machine that mpd
is running on, and log in with the user name and password you
put in "mpd.secret".

You will find that the mpd server does not do ARP. You'll want
to make an ARP entry on the machine running mpd pointing
to the mac address of the LAN side of your server so that
the machines on your LAN know where to return packets from
the VPN clients. Otherwise, the only machine that will be able
to communicate with the remote clients will be the server.

Read the man page for mpd and, with what I've told you above,
you should be able to get it working.

Hope this helps..

-Jim