Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 1998 12:16:49 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        randyk@ccsales.com (Randy A. Katz)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail - anti-spam, relay hosts

> Hello,
>
> I know this is not for sendmail but I always get the best answers here and
> I'm using FreeBSD.
>
> I put in the rules to sendmail.cf for not allowing others to relay mail
> through our server. I have a number of virtual web sites on the server and
> each has a POP account and sends/receives email to/from the POP and to the
> world (the users are allowed to use us as their SMTP host).
>
> As soon as I put the no relay rules in they can no longer use us as an SMTP
> host. Is there a way to allow them if they are a valid POP account?

I have a similar problem:
I configured G as a relay for A.
I permit relaying for incoming mails only when the receiver is
in the local network(s) (check_rcpt).
As long as A runs everything works fine (no relaying needed).
But when A went down I suddenly saw rejected mail due to check_rcpt.
Changeing check_rcpt to display some debugging output (always in danger
that I get removed from "some" mailing lists for bouncing :-) I found
that the sender's address caused check_rcpt to complain.
I.e.:   X.Y.Z --> A.M.R.de   ==> No relaying  on G.M.R.de
The domain is listed as M.R.de in /etc/sendmail.cR (in this example).

Why is check_rcpt called for the sender's address ?
The rule works fine for the recipient's address.

Robert

Besides: My check_rcpt at the very end of /etc/sendmail.cf looks like:

FR-o /etc/sendmail.cR

Scheck_rcpt
# anything terminating locally is ok
# R<$+ @ $* $=R >       $#error $: "451 Relaying test " $1 " @ " $2 " " $3
R<$+ @ $=w >            $@ OK
R<$+ @ $* $=R >         $@ OK

# anything originating locally is ok
R$*                     $: $(dequote "" $&{client_name} $)
R$=w                    $@ OK
R$*$=R                  $@ OK
R$@                     $@ OK

# anything else is bogus
R$*                     $#error $: "550 We do Not permit Relaying " $1

Kspammers hash /etc/sendmail.spammers

Scheck_mail

# check for valid domain name
R<?> $* < @ $+ >        $#error $: "451 Domain/Host name must Resolve"

# check relay against spammers database
R$*                     $: $(spammers $&{client_name} $: OK $)
ROK                     $@ OK
R$+                     $#error $: 551 $1

--
Dr. Robert Eckardt                                                 (
    Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum, Inst.f.Theor.Physik, NB6/169          )