Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 1998 23:23:38 -0600
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Patch Problem

>I made a patch for a port I created, but when I tried to apply the patch to
>the original sources it didn't work as it was patching the wrong Makefile.
>
>The problem:
>
>Directories in "port.cat":
>
>-rwxrwxr-- Makefile
>drwxrwxr-x myport

Note: myport contains a modified Makefile of the original port
(myport.orig).

>drwxrwxr-x myport.orig

>-rwxrwxr-- myport.orig.tgz
>
>I create the patch as follows:
>
>diff -ruN myport.orig myport > myport.diff

Now to test the Patch since nobody is supposed to have the directory
myport.orig in their ports tree.  I move the directories so that I don't
loose my changes, and so that patch only sees the old port.

>mv myport myport.new
>mv myport.orig myport

I apply the patch from the port.cat directory

>patch < myport.diff

Hmm...  Looks like a unified diff to me...
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|diff -ruN myport.orig/Makefile myport/Makefile
|--- myport.orig/Makefile    Tue Oct 28 13:18:12 1997
|+++ myport/Makefile Wed Jan 14 00:04:21 1998
--------------------------
Patching file Makefile using Plan A...
Hunk #1 failed at 1.
Hunk #2 failed at 19.
Hunk #3 failed at 30.
Hunk #4 failed at 37.
Hunk #5 failed at 47.
5 out of 5 hunks failed--saving rejects to Makefile.rej
done

How do I use patch so that it will patch the Makefile in the myport
directory, instead of the port.cat directory? Tried changing to the myport
directory and that didn't work either.

Note:  If I create a directory test & move myport to that directory and
apply the patch from within the test directory, then it will work?

Note: I was getting 2 rej files as the patch was actually patching 2
separate Makefiles (myport/, & myport/files/ ).

Note: This is with patch 2.1 on 2.2-stable (cvsuped on Jan 9).

Scot