Date:      Tue, 02 Dec 2003 10:12:46 +0900
From:      Alexander Nedotsukov <bland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Franz Klammer <klammer@webonaut.com>
Cc:        gnome <freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: libgtop-2.5.0_1 -> chgrp: /usr/X11R6/bin/libgtop_server: Nosuch file or directory

Franz Klammer wrote:

> year! gnome 2.5 is running now! :-) (on 5.2-BETA - bleeding edge² ;-))
>
> as far i 've seen every package (compiled against the new libraries)
> running
> like expected.
>

> i've found a error message while installing libgtop:
> -----
> gmake  install-exec-hook
> gmake[4]: Entering directory
> `/usr/ports/devel/libgtop2/work/libgtop-2.5.0/src/daemon'
> chgrp kmem /usr/X11R6/bin/libgtop_server && chmod 2755
> /usr/X11R6/bin/libgtop_server
> chgrp: /usr/X11R6/bin/libgtop_server: No such file or directory
> gmake[4]: [install-exec-hook] Fehler 1 (ignoriert)
> gmake[4]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/ports/devel/libgtop2/work/libgtop-2.5.0/src/daemon'
> gmake[3]: Für das Ziel »install-data-am« ist nichts zu tun.
> -----
>
> libgtop_server didn't get the right permissions. maybe it's also the
> same with
> libgtop_daemon2? (the output was to fast - i will check it tomorrow if
> necessary)
>
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  252520  2 Dez 00:30
> /usr/X11R6/bin/libgtop_daemon2
> -r-xr-sr-x  1 root  kmem   194804  2 Dez 00:30
> /usr/X11R6/bin/libgtop_server2

Franz,

You can ignore error above since our Makefile does it properly. We don't
have libgtop_server binary  at all. Our local name for this guy
libgtop_server2 and as you can see it's ok. libgtop_daemon2 in any way
is kind of useless stuff at the moment. Plus finally when it will be
ready it will be supposed to up at the system boot time. So permissions
are not the case here.

> other question: gdesklets didn't run now and therefore i can't
> maintain it anymore.
> but it's easy for me to go back to 2.4.1 because i've made a backup of
> /usr/local,
> /usr/X11R6/, /var/db/pkg and ~/.{gnome|.gconf}*. :-)
> is there a chance that the gdesklets problem will be solved or is it
> possible
> that i switch between gnome 2.4 and 2.5 (backup and rename local|X11R6
> as needed)
> without breaking anything?

Can't say that gdesklets problem will be fixed soon but I think you have
copy of all things required to go back and forth. Symbolic links like this:
    /usr/
        X11R6 - > X11R6-gnome24
        X11R6-gnome24/
        X11R6-gnome25/
and small usegnome.sh ;-) should do the job.
Could you explain the problem with gDesklets and can this be because you
don't rebuilt phyton stuff or something?

All the best,
Alexander.