Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 01:40:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      plasma <plasma@freebsd.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/41701: New port: devel/RT2

The following reply was made to PR ports/41701; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: plasma <plasma@freebsd.sinica.edu.tw>
To: Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 16:33:36 +0800

 On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 09:27:19AM +0200, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
 > On Fri 2002-08-16 (11:04), plasma wrote:
 > > 	RT is a request tracker system written in perl
 > >
 > > 	WWW: http://bestpractical.com/rt/
 >
 > Does this work on 4.x?  Last I tried, the perl modules installed
 > couldn't be found because they're "shadowed" by the system perl.  I
 > notice you're using "/usr/local/bin/perl" in your patch - did you test
 > this on -CURRENT, or use perl 5.8 from ports on 4.x?
 >
 > Neil
 > --
 > Neil Blakey-Milner
 > nbm@mithrandr.moria.org

 My testing system is FreeBSD 4.6-release, and it's ok.

 The port's problem is, it needs Perl 5.6.1 or greater to run.  It needs
 CGI.pm-2.80 or greater, which doesn't exist in ports.  You can search
 ports/36887, which proposed a CGI-2.80.  I have a wild guess: the reason
 why ports/36887 remains open is CGi-2.80 needs perl 5.6.

 If you want to install this port, I recommend you run 'use.perl port'
 first to make perl5.6 to be the system perl, then

   portupgrade -fv "p5-*"

 to reinstall your installed perl modules from ports.  You might want to
 search other perl modules manually to do so.  Don't forget mod_perl.
 Then run this port using

   make -DINSTALL_NEW install clean

 The reason why 'make upgrade' is default is I think it makes life eaiser
 when using portupgrade to upgrade newer version of this port someday.

 The '/usr/local/bin/perl' is intended for I want to make sure Perl 5.6
 is really used for this port.  If -current don't have it, then I'll correct
 it. (I never use -current and didn't think about it.  Sorry for that.)

 I don't have machines running -current, so I cannot test this port on
 -current.  I don't have machine running postgresql, DB_TYPE=Pg is not
 tested either.

 I think perl 5.8 is ok with this port, because I was told all RT's developers
 use Perl 5.8. :)

 I'm planing to make a RT-devel port, but there are some issues need to be
 done first.  I'll wait one week or two to see if those issues could be
 resolved.  As I just said, RT's developers use Perl 5.8, and there might be
 something to break the code if using Perl 5.6.1.

 Regards,
 plasma