Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 19:22:32 -0400
From:      Ben Compton <peabody@naxs.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Panic cannot mount root

Before I get to my question I'd like to take a min to offer my thanks to
those of you that responded to my disk copying post.  The suggestion about
using tar to backup and then restore the files worked wonderfully.  I
really appreciate those of you that helped me out.  Thanks much.

Now to my question.  I'm Installing FreeBSD 2.2.6 Stable on my machine.  I
have it on a hard drive that is the master unit on my secondary IDE chain.
The install went without a hitch but when I reboot and try to run it
everything appears to be fine then I get the panic: cannot mount root
message.  I read a couple things about telling it exactly where to look for
the kernel and such and they didn't seem to work.  The reason the hard
drive is on the secondary chain is so that I could complete the install.  I
could not carry out an install when I had both hard drives on the primary
chain and my CD-ROM on the secondary so I had to move the CD-ROM over to
the primary in order for it to function properly. So that is the reason for
the system configuration.  Oh and there is also a Zip drive on the
secondary chain set up as the slave. (Dunno if that is relevant or not but
what the hey it may be the one bit of info someone needs to figure out my
probs :)

Any help you can give will be appreciated.  I'm giving strong thought to
using FreeBSD instead of Linux if I can make BSD run properly so you have
the opportunity to add to the legions of users of BSD.  Oh and one more
thing...anyone know if there is support in FreeBSD for the Turtle Beach
Motego PCI sound card?  Any help on that will be great too...(As far as I
know Linux doesn't support that card at the moment)

Thanks in advance.

Ben Compton
peabody@naxs.com

The idea that every single thing in the universe should be usable by
the untrained, the uncaring and the uninterested is a fallacy.  There
is nothing wrong with having something that works well when used by the
expert.

- John W. M. Stevens posting in comp.os.linux.advocacy, June 15 1998