Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 15:04:35 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        tom@mercia.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why does xemacs and netscape take five minuits to start?

Tom Brown writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > last week I was trying to set-up stand alone DNS on my machine and
 > something happened.
 >
 > The 'sendmail' daemon takes ages to start at boot up, and xemacs and
 > netsacpe take five minuits to start in X.

Hm ... someone asked the very same question a few days ago and i
did not save my answer to resend it. Now you have two options:

1. Check the mail-archives of the questions-mailinglist.
2. Set the preferences in netscape and xemacs to not lookup some
   DNS-entries of hosts. Netscape for example will try to connect to
   home.netscape.com by default. XEmacs does not try to connect
   any site by default but www.cs.indiana.edu when you are
   starting w3.
   What takes the long time for you is the nameserver, that is
   queried to resolve "home.netscape.com" or "www.cs.indiana.edu" to
   an IP-address. If you do not have a connection to root-nameserver,
   this queries will timeout after a short period of time. If you
   are connected to internet, then you have a misconfigured name-
   server.
   Both, netscape and W3-XEmacs, can be configured to not connect
   on startup to these sites, but instead startup with a blank page.

Malte.