Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 2009 09:18:41 +0100
From:      Glyn Millington <glyn@millingtons.org>
To:        Patrick Reich <reichp@austin.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which latex should I install

Patrick Reich <reichp@austin.rr.com> writes:

> One thing to add here is that the ports tree remains tied to
> teTeX.  If you install TexLive (either from DVD or Romain's)
> and then install a port like texmacs, lyx, texmaker, or auctex
> to edit your files, you'll pull in teTeX as a dependency.  You
> end up with both teTeX and TeXLive installed.  If someone knows
> how to avoid the duplicity, please do chime in

Hi Patrick,

Just to say that "duplicity" usually means something like "deceitful and
dishonest behaviour" - duplication is what you want to avoid!  I only
mention it because this is a slip that could get you into serious
trouble in the wrong context!!  :-)

You are right about the ports tree and my way round this has been to edit
the relevant port Makefie and simply remove the dependency under
BUILD_DEPENDS, LIB_DEPENDS and RUN_DEPENDS.  Most things then find
TeXLive and build themselves nicely after that. There may be an automated
way of doing this but I haven't found it yet.

atb

Glyn