Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 2007 11:45:37 -0500
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        "Rob W." <rob@fiberuplink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail being sent from my domain...

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 07:47:56PM -0600, Rob W. wrote:

> I hope I'm in the right area and someone could possibly help me with this.
>
> I am running FreeBSD 5.4. I installed qmail from www.qmailrocks.org
>
> Everything is working correctly and I do have spamassassin and clamav installed and working.
>
> Lately I have been getting emails back saying that someone is sending mail out from xyz@mydomain.com. If anybody can help. I do have the patch installed so that open relay is disabled and a user needs an account on the qmail system. I have been watching the email accounts and it has not been breached as far as security.
>
> Is it possible for people to send email out from my domain name and have fake users acting as comming from my network? If so, is there anything I can do stop this or prevent it?

Well, they don[t send it from your actual domain.  But, as you suspect, they
can send it from somewhere and make it look like it comes from yours -
faking the address.   There is nothing you can do about this if you are
going to be open to sending Email to any part of the world.   You could
put something in your message that is sort of a code to tell people that
it is a legitimate message from you.   You could make up your own or
use one of the signature services.   But, that will not stop people from
using your id and domain name to send stuff all over.  Most people have
learned to ignore those fake addressed messages.

If you have some limited number of locations you must always send
Email, you could set up some sort of VPN and have those sites only
listen to that.  But, I suspect that would be too limiting for most
Email situations.

////jerry