Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 16:50:37 -0800
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to upgrade...

--wIc/V6YLA2QdyfT4

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 06:05:01PM -0500, Joseph R. Tanner wrote:
> Hello, I am just beginning with the FreeBSD operating system, I have the =
KDE
> GUI installed and I noticed that my version is 3.0 and there is a 3.1 out=
, I
> noticed on their site that I can download the 3.1 source, but will that t=
hen
> upgrade to 3.1 or install over my 3.0?

It appears that the current version of the KDE port is 3.0.5.  You will
probably need to use the ported version, unless you want to attempt to
download the 3.1 sources and manually apply the FreeBSD 3.0.5 patches -
and then hope that those patches still fully apply to version 3.1.  You
should probably stick with the ported version, especially if you are
just getting started with FreeBSD.  Later, when the port is upgraded to
3.1 you should either use the tool called portupgrade
(/usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade) to upgrade KDE, and any ports for that
matter, or deinstall the current KDE port and then install the new.

Nathan
--=20
GPG Public Key ID: 0x4250A04C
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 4250A04C
http://63.105.21.156/gpg_nkinkade_4250A04C.asc

--wIc/V6YLA2QdyfT4

--wIc/V6YLA2QdyfT4--