Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 15:41:15 +0200
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        "G.B.Naidu" <gbnaidu@sasi.com>
Cc:        Thierry Herbelot <herbelot@cybercable.fr>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail hangs while booting...

-On [20000503 07:31], G.B.Naidu (gbnaidu@sasi.com) wrote:
>On Tue, 2 May 2000, Thierry Herbelot wrote:
>
>> Generally, sendmail is a bit slow to boot, as it tries to resolve the
>> hostname of your machine via dns : if your hostname is not declared in a
>> DNS, sendmail has to wait the timeout duration before finishing its
>> startup.
>
>What I would like to know is: During it's initilization, does sendmail
>sends/receive some packets? If there are any bugs in the code that I have
>changed(in the files mentioned above), does they affect sendmail?

Like Thierry said, it will try and do a lookup by means if
gethostbyname() IIRC which could mean the resolver needs to contact a
nameserver as specified in /etc/resolv.conf.  So it could send out some
packets.  But that's entirely dependent on your configuration.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok vd Werven/Asmodai    asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl|freebsd.org]
Documentation nutter/C-rated Coder BSD: Technical excellence at its best