Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:21:23 +0000
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>
To:        www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   CSS and index.html

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

[BCC'd to doc as there are undoubtedly people there who are interested]

I have started to convert index.html to CSS.

Patches and the result can be viewed at
http://shrike.submonkey.net/~ceri/FreeBSD/css/index/index.css.diff
and
http://shrike.submonkey.net/~ceri/data1/index.html; these are tested in
Internet Explorer 6, Firefox 6, Konqueror 3.3.1 and Opera 7.45.

I chose to use a separate stylesheet index.css for the index page as it
allows us to do really cool stuff on the front page later, while
leaving the other pages relatively simple.

A glimpse of the (possible) future at
http://shrike.submonkey.net/~ceri/data2/index.html for which a patch
(against the above) is at
http://shrike.submonkey.net/~ceri/FreeBSD/css/index/index.css.with_the_funk=
y_stuff.diff
This is heavily based on Eric S. Meyer's "ComplexSpiral Redux" and
works with all of the above browsers except one; guess which.  I really
like the fact that it's only a two-line diff against the first one.
I know it makes the text hard to read, but that's because of the way I
"watermarked" the images ("erase every other row" in GIMP).

I'd like to commit the first patch referenced above forthwith; comments?

Ceri

PS: The other nice thing is that 10 hours ago I knew nothing about CSS.
--=20
not sure about the former.			  -- Einstein (attrib.)

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99--