Date:      Thu, 9 May 2002 14:48:58 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Roberto Armenteros <rarmente@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My mouse doesnt work properly when I run startx!! HELP...

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 07:29:50PM -0700, Roberto Armenteros wrote:

[...]
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Mouse1"
> Driver "mouse"
> # i have tried changing the protocol to ps/2 but sitll
> Option "Protocol" "Microsoft"
> Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
>
> I have also used the utility xf86config and I have
> chosen most of the mouse options they offer, but
> still, no results. I am using one those optical
> microsoft mice.

Make sure you aren't running moused, and try the following:

    Option "Protocol"    "auto"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/psm0"

I'm assuming that "dmesg | grep psm" returns something like:

    psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
    psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>