Date:      Sun, 05 Mar 2000 22:59:07 GMT
From:      <jstarkey@polaris.umuc.edu>
To:        Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
Cc:        Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>, Fawaz Talal <bsdi@usa.net>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SiS 6326

I had a helluva time trying to set up my girlfriends HP Pavilion with=20
RedHat 6.1 (XFree86). The problem which couldn't be fixed in Windoze=20
is almost gone. I had a problem with it on Fri. and rebooted outta=20
frustration. Rebooting fixed it but there is one
problem I haven't been able to tackle, which is a xterm problem. I get
no echo. Just blank spaces. Actually I don't even get the prompt, but
there is a flashing cursor.

Ok.

Where this fits in: I had the White square problem and many others. I
managed to fix it with XF86Config and here is a copy of the entries
pertaining to the video out:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "SiS"
    VendorName  "SiS"
    BoardName   "5988"
    #VideoRam    1024
    Option "no_accel" # Use this if acceleration is causing problems
    # Option "fifo_moderate"
    # Option "fifo_conserv"
    # Option "fifo_aggresive"
    # Option "fast_vram"
    # Option "pci_burst_on"
    # Option "xaa_benchmark" # DON'T use with "ext_eng_queue" !!!
    # Option "ext_eng_queue" # Turbo-queue. This can cause drawing
                             # errors, but gives some accel
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

#
# Screen sections
#

# The Colour SVGA server

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "svga"
    # Use Device "Generic VGA" for Standard VGA 320x200x256
    #Device      "Generic VGA"
    Device      "SiS"
    Monitor     "SiS01"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        # Omit the Modes line for the "Generic VGA" device
        Modes       "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
        # Use Virtual 320 200 for Generic VGA
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       32
        Modes       "640x400"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

# The 16-color VGA server

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "vga16"
    Device      "Generic VGA"
    Monitor     "SiS01"
    Subsection "Display"
        Modes       "640x480" "800x600"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     800 600
    EndSubsection
EndSection

# The Mono server

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "vga2"
    Device      "Generic VGA"
    Monitor     "SiS01"
    Subsection "Display"
        Modes       "640x480" "800x600"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     800 600
    EndSubsection
EndSection

# The accelerated servers (S3, Mach32, Mach8, 8514, P9000, AGX, W32,
Mach64)

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "accel"
    Device      "SiS"
    Monitor     "SiS01"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       32
        Modes       "640x400"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

I normally edit the config file directly.

I hope this will save someone the time it took me to "trial-and-error"
it.

John

On 3/5/00, 2:48:43 PM, Dru <genisis@istar.ca> wrote regarding Re: SiS
6326:

> I have one of these cards, and had a helluva time getting it to work;
> even read the doc for this card (usually stubborn trial and error lets=

me
> build with other cards). To quote:

> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.SiS

> "The generic VGA driver doesn't work with 6326, so XF86Setup can't be
used
> for this card.  Please use XF86Config instead."

> Then there's other disclaimers for problems with snow, black screens,
etc.

> I used XF86Config to create a useable X GUI (running Windowmaker) with=

> this incantation:

> SVGA at 800x600 and 8bpp

> However, when I start it up, I have an irritating 1 inch square of
white
> where the cursor should be. The first time I right click, I get a
cursor,
> but my blue wallpaper turns white; other than that, works great ;)

> If you come up with a better recipe, let me know.

> Dru

> On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, Jim Conner wrote:

> > I've had the very same problem but Im using a P180MMX 128Mb.  But it=
> > true...nothing even gets logged and the only way to recover is to
reset the
> > machine at the switch.  Im interested to see if anyone has some fixe=
for
> > this.  Im even using the latest build (or at the one just before the=

last
> > release...sorry can't be more specific than that.)
> >
> > Jim
> >

> > At 08:14 AM 3/5/00 +0200, Fawaz Talal wrote:
> > >Speacking of setting up my X:
> > >During installing FreeBSD 3.2-R, on AMD K6-II w/ 64MB Ram & IDE HDD=
 +
ATAPI
> > >CD..
> > >When I try to configure XFree86 During installation, the machine
halts when it
> > >trys to start the configuration GUI, and nothing is working even
ALT-F<x>.