Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 01:41:05 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

at my former employers site, there is a standard setup of freebsd boxen
that runs the 4.x series on 200+ smp machines without a problem. the
boards are either asus p2b-ds (version 1.03+) (adaptec onboard u2w scsi)
or p2b-d with adaptec 2940u2w scsi controller. processors are intel
pii-400 or piii-500 stepping 4 and up. the disks are ibm ddrs 9 or 18gb
u2w, the memory used is pc100 specified sdram from directmemory taht
comes with warranty. gfx cards are ati mach64 oem agp models that cost
about EUR10. the server chassis are really cheap 4u rackmount chassis
with 3 fans and (mandatory in this case) maxpower or comparable
redundant 350w power supplies. ethernet is serviced by intel
etherexpress 100/+ (8255[89]/fxp driver) or netgear ga620 (tigon ii/ti
driver) cards. the kernels are of course custom built, the distribution
was generated inhouse with make release and a custom package
installation procedure. in times where serverworks based boards are
still expensive or not in stock (i speak about germany) at the most
resellers, the bx based boards have always had the greatest stability.
together with freebsd4, this is, from my experiences of the last years,
by far the most stable - though not fastest - platform we ever had in
production. most of the boxes have uptimes greater than 100 days, some
3.4 based servers in the field are now running over a year (mainly
backends that are not in official address space).

/k

Hartmann, O.(ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de)@2001.04.16 00:48:42 +0000:
> Dear Sirs.
>
> I would like to ask for stability for several SMP systems running
> FreeBSD.
> As I heard about some rumours SMP systems under FreeBSD tend to reboot
> spontanously after a while and the fact, that we here reboot our systems
> nearly every week due a frequent cvsupdate, I feel a little bit confused
> and would like to hear about other experiences.
>
> Our mainservers use TYAN's Thunder 2500 mainboard with AMI MegaRAID Enterprise
> 1600 RAID controllers and all other servers use SCSI, not IDE.
> I realized, that switching APM on in the kernel of the TYAN SMP system
> causes the system to reboot sponanously, maybe due the fact that the BIOS (1.4)
> is not APM capable (why for servers?).
>
> All right, to make this short: are there any experiences about how long SMP
> systems under recent FreeBSD systems can run under heavy or moderate load
> and keep on duty without forced reboots or reboot by crash?
>
> The focus should be on ServerWorks based chipsets used with SCSI and modern
> SMP boards of the lower range of the pricing list, like ASUS CUV4X-D.
>
> We use TYAN (Thunder 2500, LSI869 and LSI1010 based Slot-1 boards) and
> ASUS CUV4X-d boards (FC-PGA) with SCSI equipment.
>
> Nearby: I heard about a roumor that ServerWorks based IDE systems tend to
> have problems.
> Please then note this: we have two ASUS A7V based system, both the same CPU,
> both the same memory type, both the same newest BIOS revision, but one is SCSI,
> one is IDE (ATA100) based. We changed SCSI and IDE (swapping the drives) and
> for that, this phenomenon was stuck on IDE: 'shutdown -r now' does not work
> on IDE, we must reboot our system by 'reboot'.
>
> --
> MfG
> O. Hartmann
>
> ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
> IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
> Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
> Becherweg 21
> 55099 Mainz
>
> Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)
> Tel: +496131/3924144
> FAX: +496131/3923532

> Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
> -- Henry Spencer
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- http://www.webmonster.de -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 BF46