Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 13:02:15 -0500
From:      "Alain G. Fabry" <fabry@panam.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   modem problem (cu and tip)  -------- COSERVE

3 questions:

1. I have been trying to use/install the modem(U.S. robotics 28.8 external)
using tip or cu.
With the command

cu "phone#" -s 57600
or
cu "phome#" -a /dev/cuaa1 -s 57600

It returns me
cu: No matching ports

I am able to get into the modem using 'cu -l cuaa1 -s 57600' and dial out
using the AT command, but it does not allow me from the command line. What
could be the problem?

2. Using tip -57600 "phone#"
It returns,

tip: unknown modem hayes
unknown ACU type
[EOT]

So I send a ATS7=45&W command and a ATX06W to turn of BUSY, CONNECT, etc.
and change the dial timeout to 45 seconds.
Still I get the same error, what could be causing this and how do I solve
it?

3. Also I try to change the tipconf.h file from (Following www.freebsd.org
handbook directions)
#define HAYES 0
#define HAYES 1

When I do a 'make' it gives me the following error:

Warning: Object directory not changed from original
/usr/src/usr.bin/tip/tip
cc -O    -o tip acu.o acutab.o cmds.o cmdtab.o cu.o hunt.o log.o
partab.o remote.o tip.o tipout.o value.o vars.o
/usr/src/usr.bin/tip/tip/../libacu/libacu.a -lutil
cc: /usr/src/usr.bin/tip/tip/../libacu/libacu.a: No such file or
directory
*** Error code 1

Stop.

Please give me some advice.