Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 15:04:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        TrouBle <trouble@netquick.net>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Barrett Richardson <barrett@phoenix.aye.net>, David G Andersen <danderse@cs.utah.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: secure filesystem wiping

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, TrouBle wrote:

> will you all take a look at this, this is what i am looking for!!
>

> Wipe is a tool that effectively degauses the surface of a hard
> disk, making it virtually impossible to retrieve the data that was
> stored on it. This is the ultimate in making sure secure data that is
> erased from a hard drive is unrecoverable.

This is a load of BS, as Wes pointed out, there isn't a trully
secure way to wipe files, all this program does is repeatedly
re-write over the data, depending on the underlying filesystem it
may not even be doing that (BSD LFS).

The most amusing part of the program is the ridiculous steps
you must take to make sure Linux _really really really_ is using
sync writing...

I suggest using some sort of accellerant and sticking it near
your drive with a fuse.

As always, backups are a good idea however that would sort of
negate the whole idea of blowing up the drive.

Your best bet is strong encryption, perhaps with cfs (in ports).

And as always, please don't cross-post.

-Alfred