Date:      Wed, 06 Feb 2002 15:23:04 -0600
From:      Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>
To:        brownicm@prokyon.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sshd warning: Remote host failed or refused to allocate a pseudo tty.

At 03:56 PM 2/6/2002 -0500, Chris Browning wrote:
>I'm trying to set up ssh into my firewall from a local machine. The firewall
>rules are set up. sshd seems to be set up; I have it running successfully on
>other machines. I can log into the firewall but get this:
>
>     brownicm@molly$ ssh brownicm@192.168.1.21
>     brownicm@192.168.1.21's password:
>     Warning: Remote host failed or refused to allocate a pseudo tty.
>     Warning: no access to tty (Bad file descriptor).
>     Thus no job control in this shell.

This is a classic symptom of your box using all of its pseudo ttys.

Read the faq, it discusses a solution, which involves making more ptty
devices, possibly compiling a new kernel.

For future reference: the faq, http://groups.google.com/ or the list
archives from freebsd.org would have helped you solve this problem.

--
Christopher Schulte
http://www.schulte.org/