Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 1999 13:07:22 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        J McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Lucas Bergman <iceberg@pobox.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE themes

On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 07:32:22PM +0100, J McKitrick wrote:
> Really?  What would be another one to check out?  Enlightenment is good,
> but resource hungry, and i can't make those icons on the right go away.
> Windowmaker:  well, i just don't get the whole dock concept.  Seems too
> hard to customize into anything integrated.  I thought KDE had the most
> promise, IMHO.  But then again, i am looking for productivity, not pure
> efficiency, so maybe that's the best bet.  Any suggestions?
> I just like the whole integrated desktop concept, rather than trying to
> stitch together a bunch of incompatible cryptic utilities.  I mean, hey,
> it ma be bloated, but at least it's still Unix.  My HD is big enough
> anyway, since i'm trashing windows  ;-)
>
> OK, this is a questions list, right?  Question: What would be easy to use
> in place of KDE?  Easy to learn but powerful when i need it?  Gnome?

	Look into ctwm which is a great advance to the old twm.
	ctwm gives you any number of ``workspaces'' and it fairly
	easy to configure.  The ctwm mailing list will help you.

	ctwm has any number of glitzy features for people with
	time to burn; also plenty of funtionality to let you
	season-to-taste.  Really, it's the working-man's WM.

	I've tried any number of WM's over the months and keep
	coming back to ctwm for just one simple reason: it let's
	me get work done.

	gary