Date:      Thu, 12 Dec 2002 18:10:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Ruby <mruby2003@yahoo.com>
To:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum question - Is this possible?

--- Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> On Sunday,  8 December 2002 at  9:17:53 -0800, Matt
> Ruby wrote:
> > Is this possible?
>
> Yes.

> In the case of a failed drive, Vinum knows all about
> it, just not
> where it is.  In your case Vinum doesn't know about
> the new disk; you
> have to tell it.  Do that with an incremental
> configuration file just
> describing the new objects.
>
> I'm attaching a draft from the upcoming 4th edition
> of "The Complete
> FreeBSD".  Take a look at it and tell me if
> anything's unclear.
>
> Greg
> --

Thanks for replying so quickly.  My existing drive
seems now to be in the process of dying, so copying
its contents has been more time consuming than I
expected (due to many IDE timeouts).  This means I'll
be getting a 3rd drive to use for the mirror, too.

Anyway, I'm assuming that with this original
configuration:
drive drive1 device /dev/ad0s1e
 volume var setupstate
  plex org concat
   sd length 256m drive drive1
 volume usr setupstate
  plex org concat
   sd length 0 drive drive1

this second configuration should work:
drive drive2 device /dev/ad2s1e
 plex name var.p1 org concat volume var
  sd length 256m drive drive2
 plex name usr.p1 org concat volume usr
  sd length 0 drive drive2

assuming equal-sized drives, and that a "start var.p1"
and "start usr.p1" should get them going.

There was a little more in that excerpt than I needed,
which made me confused initially, but I think I've
sorted it out now.

Thanks again for your help,
-M